How proactive are you in preventing falls?
Take a quiz to access your risk of falling and learn ways to prevent falls. Registration for the upcoming Therapeutic Yoga for Graceful Aging workshop now open. One in four Americans aged 65+ falls each year. Falls are the main reason why older adults loss their independence. A growing number of older adults fear falling and, as a result, limit their activities and social engagements.
This can result in further physical decline, depression, social isolation, and feelings of helplessness. Being able to maintain your balance is a fundamental aspect of mental and physical health that boosts confidence and a sense of independence.
Before you start the quiz:
- Keep track of how many yeses you mark.
- If you have a score of 4 or more you may want to consult your doctor about:
- Having other medical tests
- Changing your medicines
- Consulting a specialist
- Seeing a physical Therapists
- Attending a falls prevention workshop
Four Things You Can Do To Prevent Falls
- Begin am exercise program to improve your leg strength and balance
- Ask your doctor or pharmacist to review your medications
- Get annual eye check-ups and update your eyewear
- Make your home safer
- Remove clutter and tripping hazards
- Put railings on the stairs and add grab bars in the bathroom
- Have good lighting, especially on stairs